CE Provider Information
Complete an application through SBS to provide CE courses in Oregon.
- Go to www.statebasedsystems.com
- Under State Services, choose Oregon
- Then choose Education Provider Application
Once the Insurance Division approves the application, the division
will send an email that includes your user ID and initial password. Use the login and password to submit course credit registrations
and course roster uploads through SBS.
To submit course applications:
- Go to www.statebasedsystems.com.
- Under Lookup, choose Oregon
- Under Search for, choose Courses
Submit a course objective with a detailed timed outline showing how time
is allocated. The state allows up to eight hours of coursework a day. For
more than eight hours, submit your outline by day.
Note: Online and home study courses require the exam questions. However, the questions themselves do not count as instruction time. In other words, a six-hour class means six hours of instruction.
Uploading course rosters
CE providers must report course completion information directly to the Insurance
Division through the SBS tool Online Continuing Education (OCE). Go to the
Educator Provider Login page to get started.
Through OCE, course providers are able to:
- Submit course applications
- Submit course offerings (or schedules)
- Upload course rosters
- View detailed provider information
- Submit instructor applications
- Upload attachments to pending courses
Providers should also be aware that their course numbers have changed, but
their provider number has stayed the same.
Course rosters submitted through SBS cost $1 per credit hour, per student.
There are two ways to process rosters:
- The File Transfer method (this is best for large volume
- The Input Course Roster method, which works great for
classes with smaller student participation, or for adding one or more students
to an existing roster.
Both of the course roster processing methods happen in real time - no delay
in posting. Go to the Insurance
Educator Provider Login page. On the Welcome page, once you have
logged in, you will find a link to the Users Guide.
Key information for CE providers
- Course providers must renew their registration every two years. SBS sends
provider renewal notices.
- Courses expire two years from the month of approval. No renewal reminders
are mailed to providers for courses.
- All course registration requests must be received 10 days before the course
date to be eligible for review, and 60 days before the course date to ensure
approval prior to that course date.
- All course times, dates and locations must be submitted through SBS 10
days before the course.
- Course topics must fall within the guidelines of OAR
836-071-0230. Sales and marketing classes are not eligible for credit.
- Each lecture hour of CE credit must have a minimum of 50 minutes of instruction. We do not approve "half" increments such as 5.5 hours.
- Certificates of completion must include the following:
- Producer's name
- Course title
- Course registration number
- Course date
- Credit hours approved
- Authorized signature of provider on file with the Insurance Division
- Agency management courses are limited to a maximum of four hours per renewal
period. These courses must have some consumer benefit and be unique to the
- Law courses must provide information relating to Oregon legislation, laws,
rules, or case law. General law and federal law do not qualify for Oregon
- Continuing education providers cannot advertise courses for credit before
the courses have been approved by the Insurance Division.